Sri Lankans are very family-oriented and Sri Lankans welcome children everywhere. Plenty of opportunities in all hotels and resorts to keep kids entertained and upon request you will be able to employ a nanny, to have a peaceful candle lit dinner under a galaxy of stars. You can mingle your activities with theirs at most of the country’s top attractions.
Most hotels are children-friendly and will have western dishes. The supermarket chain is extensive now reaching out to most areas with the exception of the remote villages.
Sunscreen is a must along with wide brimmed hats to avoid sunburn on tender skin, and best purchased from native country along with mosquito repellents.
Here is a list of activities to keep the kids entertain whilst on holiday in Sri Lanka.
• Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage - where bathing time in the river, although a strong tourist attraction, is certainly worth a close encounter for the children.
• There are so many resorts with their own pool and has an abundance of activities on offer
• horse riding
• canoe rides
• World Heritage cultural sites of the Sacred City of Anuradhapura - cycle tour of Anuradhapura
• the Ancient City of Polonnaruwa - cycle tour of Polonnaruwa
• Sigiriya - the Sigirya Rock Fortress
• Dambulla - the Dambulla Cave Temples
• Take an elephant ride in Habarana/Dambulla.
• city of Kandy - the Temple of the Tooth ,Botanical Gardens ,Festival of the Tooth ’Perahera’ in August(a Buddhist festival consisting of cultural dances and fantastically decorated elephants adorned with lavish garments)
• visit local farmers' market in Kandy.There are varieties of fruits and vegetables that you will never find at home.
• Hike and bike through the glorious tea plantations between the bungalows and visit local the factories to learn about the tea making process from start to finish.
• Kayaking and rafting are also available on request and you can even use this as a great base from which to climb the sacred slopes of Adam’s Peak.
• Ude Walawe/Yala – Wild life safari, large herds of elephants, Painted Storks, Raptors, spotted deer, barking deer, wild buffalo and even the elusive leopard.
• fascinating city of Galle – Galle Fort
• Kosgoda - Turtle Hatchery where you can see several species of turtles.
• Mirissa - the best place in Sri Lanka to head out whale watching.